Frequently Asked Questions


What are the requirements for the licences?

Before you can learn to drive, you must have:


HR class vehicle

a C class licence with 24 months experience

an LR class licence more than 1 year, OR

an MR class licence for more than 1 year

HC class vehicle

a C class licence for at least 3 years, AND

an MR class or HR class licence for at least 1 year

MC class vehicle

a C class licence for at least 3 years, AND

a HR class or HC class licence for at least 1 year




minimum age of 16 years (you can start taking lessons when you are at 15 years and 9 months), OR

a C-N car licence



no experience required (minimum age 17 years). You can start training at 16 years old



held an R-E class (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) licence for a minimum of 12 months


a licence is required for operating a machine that exceeds 11 metres in height. Students must be nineteen years or above




 What does it allow me to drive?

HR: A motor vehicle that has 3 or more axles and a gross vehicle mass greater than 8 tonnes.



HC: A prime mover to which is attached a single semi-trailer plus any unladen converter dolly, or rigid motor vehicle attached to a trailer that has a gross vehicle mass greater than 9 tonnes plus any unladen converter dolly.



MC: Any heavy combination unit towing two or more trailers, each having a gross vehicle mass greater than 9 tonnes. Multi-Combination vehicle driver assessments are conducted by private training organisations.     




EWP: An elevating work platform is either a telescoping device, hinged device, articulated device, or a combination of these used to support a platform from which personnel, equipment or materials can be elevated to perform work. A high-risk work licence is required to operate an EWP with a boom over 11 metres in length.





  • MOPED (R-N) - is a motorcycle that is designed so as not to be capable of a speed exceeding 50 km/h and either has an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc; or is not powered by a piston engine.



  • LAMS (R-E) - A Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) approved motorcycle with an engine capacity not exceeding 660 cc and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 150 kW/t (with foot or hand operated clutch).



  • OPEN CLASS (R) - A motorcycle with an engine capacity exceeding 660 cc or a power to weight ratio exceeding 150 kW/t.



What’s the process of getting my licence through ETA?

  • Make a booking via the contact form, or , or give us a call on the 0409 772 694.
  • Complete the forms required and provide the documents needed
  • Study the ‘Welcome Pack’ we give to all students
  • Complete theory questions
  • Complete practical training
  • Be assessed by a DOT approved assessor
  • If competent you will obtain a Statement of Attainment
  • You take the statement of attainment along other supporting documentation supplied by ETA to the department of transport and your drivers licence will be upgraded


What are my training options?

Flexible training options include hourly lessons over several weeks or a package where the learner can book in for a 1 or 2-Day Course. The learner can complete assessments or licence test at the completion of the course. Typically, this sort of training is applicable to truck licences.


Motorcycle training

Motorcycle training is generally by the hour. Practical assessments are still completed by the Department of transport


Elevating work platform

Elevating work platform is a two-day course which includes knowledge and practical assessments.  (limit of three students per machine)


HR course (Heavy Rigid)

Hourly lessons are the preferred method of training but a 2 day HR (Heavy Rigid) course consists of approx. 14 hours training over 2 days, plus a licence test on the afternoon of the second day.


HC course (Heavy Combination)

The HC course is available as hourly lessons or one or two-day courses. One day is for the more experienced operators who are competent with a road ranger gearbox as well as some experience in the prestart of the vehicle and trailer, coupling and uncoupling of the trailer and are confident in reversing the truck and trailer 70 metres in a straight line. The two-day course is aimed at the less experienced drivers with the prestart, uncoupling / coupling of the trailer, reversing, mid trip inspections and the handling of the larger vehicle during the on the road assessment.


MC course ( Multi Combination )

The MC course is available as a one or two-day course depending on the individuals previous experience.


When do I need to pay?

Payment of your deposit constitutes your agreement to abide by these requirements and conditions.  Once you have booked your course with ETA we require a deposit within 48 hours to secure your booking.

Payments can be made via:

  • Direct deposit or internet transfer into our bank account – Please include invoice number and name as references (bank details are at the bottom of the invoice).
  • Cheque or money order made out to ETA Transport Trainers


What if I cancel?

You may cancel at any time up to 7 working days prior to your course for a full refund.  After this time, the following cancellation fees will apply:

  • Less than 7 calendar days’ notice à           25% of deposit fee
  • Less than 5 calendar days’ notice à           50% of deposit fee
  • Less than 4 calendar days’ notice à           100% of deposit fee


What if I have Prior Experience?

The RPL process is a means of acknowledging competency for work, study or like skills previously acquired and which are relevant to the unit of competency.


Assessment for Recognition of Prior Learning must:

  • Meet the requirements of the relevant Training Package or accredited course
  • Be conducted in accordance with the principles of assessment and the rules of evidence, and
  • Meet workplace and, where relevant, regulatory requirements
  • Once the student has been assessed as competent, they will be issued with a Statement of Attainment.